Monday, October 21, 2013

Technology



Norway has to be the most electronically plugged in nation in all of Europe, perhaps the world.  They were using computers, the Internet and cell phones to the max, long before America even woke up to the technological age.

Back in 2008, when our son entered fourth grade in Norway, we were told he needed his own laptop in order to do his schoolwork.  I wasn’t expecting that expense, but amazingly, when we signed up for a year’s worth of Internet service, our Internet provider gave us a free laptop as a “back to school” special.

The Norwegian government’s goal is to have absolutely everyone plugged in - and for good reason.  There are many things that just can’t be done in Norway, without the use of the Internet.  Banking is the main one.  Also, the electric company sends out quarterly emails to their customers when it’s time to read the meter.  Once I click on their link and plop in our updated meter reading, the bill is generated that instant.  I love that.

Norwegian cell phones can be used anywhere around the world, with no “out of range” problems.  I don’t know how they do that.  My Norwegian cell phone gets reception throughout the entire country, even in tunnels under the sea.  In America, I can’t get cell phone reception on my own street half the time.  We drove to Florida this past winter and my phone was worthless for most of the journey.  No matter how remote or removed from civilization we are in Norway, we can always make a phone call.

The phones are handy for other things, too.  A few years ago I backed into a parked car during a torrential downpour in Norway.  I left a note and drove away.  I’d taken a photo of the damage, and the license plate.  When I got home and told a cousin about it, he pulled out his cell phone and punched in their license plate number.  Up popped the name, address and telephone number of the owner.  We were able to call them and work out a settlement. 

The funniest use I’ve seen for this high tech stuff in Norway is in church.  Every Sunday, when the time comes to take the offering, they always announce that for those who want to pay with a bankcard, there is a bank terminal in the lobby.  Now there’s something I’m not used to.  People leave their seats and line up in the back to make their charitable contributions electronically because checks are obsolete.  For years, many have contributed using automatic deposits taken from their bank accounts, but the latest thing now is paying by phone.  The church displays the information on an overhead with their unique code, so people can punch it in on their cell phones and make a donation without leaving their seat.  I guess this is also handy for those who miss church - they can make their offering no matter where they are in the world.


1 comment: