Monday, March 11, 2013

Ha-Det (Farewell)




I’ve always loved “people watching” and through this column I’ve been able to “culture watch.”  My husband says when we are in Norway he just thinks everything is normal, because it’s what he grew up with and is used to, but I see things “with American eyes.”  I find it odd he doesn’t notice as many differences between the two countries as there are.  Thankfully there are, or I wouldn’t have had anything to write about for the last three years.  Usually, comparisons are drawn between the Norwegians and the Swedes, not Norwegians and Americans.

It’s been a good ride.  When I started writing this column I never imagined I’d have three year’s worth of material to keep it going, let alone readers who wanted to read it.  I’ve been very encouraged by the number of positive comments I’ve gotten and even more thrilled that those who may not have liked it, kept it to themselves.   I’ve met some really nice people and even befriended some of the folks I’ve met through this column, simply because we all share a love of Norway.

Sandy Stokes has been a very gracious editor and I’m most thankful for her giving me the opportunity to put my writing in print.  I love to write.  I love Norway.  It was a good combination.  But I’ve racked my brain for more stories ideas and they just aren’t there.  I hate my column to start sounding like a high school report, so it’s time to stop. 

Several readers have requested a collection of my columns in book form, so that will be my next step and I’m sure you’ll “read all about it” in the LaConner Weekly News the days it hits the market.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the enthusiasm, chats over coffee, and general interest in my column.  The Norwegians that know about this find it hard to believe that Americans are interested in the goings on in their small country, but they of course, have no idea how much I’ve made fun of them in the process. 

I’ve won second place, two years in a row for “Best General Interest Column” in a statewide newspaper competition, with “Nuggets From Norway.”  I’m wondering now if I start writing about the Swedes, if I might finally come in first.


No comments:

Post a Comment