Monday, December 26, 2011

Formal Greetings


Twenty-one years ago, when Kory and I were heading to Norway for the first time together, I knew only a few words of Norwegian.  I asked him to teach me the proper greeting, when being introduced to someone.  I wanted to make a good impression.  Even though we were only dating, I knew the relationship would be forever.

I wanted to know the Norwegian equivalent of, “So nice to meet you.”  He told me when I greet someone I must make direct eye contact, shake their hand and say, “Jeg er med barn.”  I practiced that over and over so I would get it just right. 

On the flight over, Kory took out a family tree to show me all the relatives we’d be meeting on the trip.  It was written in Norwegian, and I saw the word “barn.”   I instantly got suspicious of this greeting he had taught me, since I could see the word was used in reference to the children of each person listed.  I questioned him on this phrase he’d taught me and he just smirked.  I knew instantly he was up to something, so I pestered him enough until he finally confessed that he was going to have me tell everyone, “I am with child.”  This was not at all funny to me and not just because I would have been proclaiming a miraculous conception.  Kory thought it was hilarious.  Kory’s aunts and uncles were very religious and I didn’t think they would see the humor in this statement either.  I was so thankful his little scheme did not play out.

After we’d been in Norway a few days, I confided in a cousin about Kory’s mischievous plan.  She thought it was hysterical and began to tell others.

Later that week, we were invited to tag along to a New Year’s Eve party.  Norwegians are extremely formal when they meet one another for the first time.  In fact, they are formal about a lot of things. Thankfully by then, I’d learned the proper greeting, which is, “Så hygelig å treffe deg.”

The party had been going on for hours before we arrived.  Once everyone saw us walk through the door, the Norwegians all quickly lined up across the room in a receiving line, somewhat like one would expect if they were waiting for royalty to arrive.  It was obvious the story of Kory’s mischievous practical joke on me had made its rounds.  Each person extended their hand to shake mine and greeted me with, “Jeg er med barn.”  

Others may think Norwegians are a bit prim and proper, but apparently some of them have a real warped sense of humor.


No comments:

Post a Comment